Often cafes will add a ton of ice and frozen fruit to create firmness in their smoothie bowls.
There are two small problems with this:
- Super cold smoothies can cause impaired and incomplete digestion and can be painful on a sensitive tummy. Cool or room-temperature smoothie bowls are preferable.
- Sugar levels can skyrocket when there is too much fruit in a smoothie. For instance, a banana and 1/4 mango would be close to 30 grams of sugar!
Solution? Use the following nutrition dense ingredients to create a firm and almost fluffy smoothie bowl. This bowl is high in omega 3’s and can be keto.
Rocket Fuel Smoothie Bowl
Ingredients for two smoothie bowls:
1/2 can of coconut cream
4 heaped scoops of protein powder. We use the clean lean protein powder.
1-2 dessert spoons of chia seeds (adds firmness)
1-2 dessert spoons of flaxseeds (adds firmness) or increase the chia seed content
1 teaspoon of gelatin (great for attacking belly fat and creates a great texture)
1 tablespoon of nut butter or 1 piece of fruit if you are not doing keto and your overall sugar intake is moderate.
1 tablespoon of cacao powder
Top with nuts, seeds and cacao nibs for a terrific crunch
(These are optional but could make a radical difference to you day and life long term. Higher brain function and focus, increased antioxidants to fight free radicals and increased performance, immunity and wellbeing)
A scoop of green nutrient powder. We use Good Green Vitality
A scoop of red phenol powder. We like the KOS brand
A teaspoon of functional mushroom powder. We like the range from Flow State
- Add water coconut cream and protein powder to a good blender and blend on low speed for approximately 30 seconds
- Gradually add all remaining ingredients with the blender still on low speed if possible. Approximately 1-2 minutes. A dash more water may be required if the mixture thickens too quickly. Stop the blender to scrape down the sides with a spatula if any ingredients are sticking.
- Increase blender speed to medium for 30 seconds then high speed. The smoothie should be getting very thick by now. If not add a little more protein powder until the mixture pretty much stops blending because it is too thick.
- Using a spatula scrape out the smoothie into two small bowls. Jiggle the bowels to let the smoothie sit evenly.
- You can put them in the fridge for 30 minutes and they will become even firmer, or simply decorate and delve in straight away.